The Signet Library, in the centre of Edinburgh’s old town, is synonymous with prestige and Georgian elegance. Steeped in history, the building, with its lower and upper libraries, was completed in 1822 in time for the celebrated visit to Edinburgh of King George IV who described the upper library as “the finest drawing room in Europe”.
The library is home to the prestigious Society of Writers to her Majesty’s Signet (also known as the WS Society), an association of Scottish lawyers and one of the oldest professional bodies in the world. The Society’s origins lie in the 15th century as the “writers” of documents sealed with “the Signet”, the private seal of the Scottish kings – members are known as “Writers to the Signet” or “WS”.
The WS Society. The Signet Library, Parliament Square, Edinburgh. EH1 1RF. Tel : +44 131 225 0651. Email: email@example.com
© The WS Society 2011. The Signet Library is owned and operated by The Society of Writers to Her Majesty’s Signet (The WS Society), a corporation recognised under the law of Scotland.